Thursday, November 15, 2007

Allergy update

I've been dairy/peanut/soy free for about a week and a half. Except for Sunday after Liturgy when I forgot and put half and half in my coffee. I had bad itching and hives than night. Tuesday I forgot and had a quesadilla and burrito for lunch, and was very sick that night. One would think it would get easier now, since the Nativity Fast starts for us Orthodox today, which means abstaining from all meat and dairy, with the allowance of fish on the weekends. But, soy??? How am I supposed to live without soy? No lattes. My healty, non-hydrogenated margarine has a mix including soy. Soy seems to be in everything lately. And no easy protein without peanuts either. But at least my rashes, hives, itching are way better. I still get very red and welts, but they don't itch. I'm having to be very particular about my skin regimen, including at work, where I have to use my own soap, Dr Bronner's mild baby soap, and my own gloves, Nitrile from Costco, and use lotion all the time. Cetaphil lotion, it protects my arms, anytime my arms touch anything at work they get red marks and welts. I'm thankful I'm starting to feel better. Glory to God! Thank God for Cetaphil cream, lotion and cleanser! I looked everywhere to find them, the only place I could find them was Costco. They're wonderful, sure I can't pronounce most of the ingredients, but they're the only thing my skin will tolerate now, and the Dr Bronner's baby soap, which I carry around in a little bottle.
Monday I go back to the allergist and should find out the results of my blood tests, including if I have Celiac Disease. I hope not, it's hard enough staying away from dairy, soy and peanuts! Like I said to Mimi in an email, I'm the crazy allergy lady now. We could probably start a club at St Elizabeth's. :)

7 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger Mimi said...

Ugh. That is quite a trial. Hugs (but not too scratchy of one!)

I put your answers up on my blog - it was fun.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Philippa said...

Dawn, I have been diagnosed with food allergies as well. Peanuts, soy, all tree nuts, and most fruits. If you want to chat about it off the blog, feel free to email me. I will be happy to share what I've found.

Going no soy is very difficult. Watch your breads. I am making my own. Actually I am cooking everything from scratch now including soup.

trellmore[at]gmail

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

I'm surprised Cetaphil is hard to find? It's everywhere here. After using Neutrogena for probably 6+ years on my face, I switched to Cetaphil cleanser (and lotion in the summer) and I just love it too.

I'm sorry about the food allergies! More studies are coming out about soy, though, and it's probably not a bad thing to stay away from anyway. I don't have food allergies, but I'm trying not to stay away from serving it a lot for dinner during Lent.

Can you have almond milk? Chocolate almond breeze (that's the brand) is SO GOOD! Especially when combined with brewed coffee.

Thanks for the update, Dawn! Hugs to you!

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

Oops: I meant "I'm trying to keep from serving [soy] a lot for dinner during Lent."

ack :)

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Liz in Seattle said...

I've found Cetaphil at RiteAid, if that helps. Also, have you tried rice milk? It's fairly non-allergenic. And you can get rice protein powder, for smoothies. I've seen it at Fred Meyer, and (I think) QFC. Super Supplements is very good for that kind of stuff as well.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Philippa,
thank you for the email, I'll respond soon. It was very helpful!
XK~ I'll check with the allergist on Monday, I've got an appointment. The chocolate almond milk sounds like a good idea in coffee.
Liz~ yes, I gave all my soy milk to Fr and Mtka and bought some rice milk. I looked for Cetaphil at Target, Rite-Aid and Walmart. The only place I could find it was Costco. I got the cream, gentle cleanser and lotion. It's been a big help. The rice protein powder is a good idea, I will have to try that.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger JamesoftheNorthwest said...

To be clear Dawn....

PEANUTS don't kill allergic people, people's allergies kill allergic people.

:)

Glad to hear you are figuring this all out and feeling better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home